Spicy Prawn Masala/Gravy for Beginners
I’am not a sea food lover and seer fish is the only sea food i eat. I’am very choosy and kind of lazy when it comes to sea food that i always prefer fish that are easy to bite and that doesn’t require me to put my effort in separating the flesh from the bones (hehehe 😛 ). I happened to have a most amazing Prawn briyani from a famous restaurant at chennai and there began my love for prawns.
I haven’t tried cooking prawns as we rarely buy prawns. One fine day we decided to buy prawns as my sister was craving for a spicy prawn curry.The recipe i’am sharing here is so close to my heart as it is the first prawn curry i ever made. Also like many of my recipes it is very simple and can be made with ingredients that are always available in your kitchen.
Dish: Prawn Masala
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Prawns- 300 gms
- Onion- 2 large
- Tomato- 2 medium
- Green chilli-1
- Dry red chilli-3
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder- 2 tsp
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Dhaniya/Coriander seed powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin seed Powder- 1 tsp
- Sugar-1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/8 tsp
- Salt- As required
- Oil-As required
- Coriander leaves- 10
- Mint leaves-10
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Clean and wash the prawns in tap water and add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, lemon juice and marinate.
- Keep it aside for 20-30 minutes
- Heat an utensil with 3 tbsp of oil and add chopped onions and green chilli.
- Fry the onions until brown and grind it into a paste in a mixie.
- Now add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, fennel seeds,fenugreek seeds and temper.
- Add the browned onion paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute until the raw smell goes off
- To this add red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, cumin seed powder, garam masala, sugar and saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, salt as required and mix well.
- Once the gravy boils add the marinated prawns and mix once.
- Cook on low flame for 10 minutes until the prawns curl up and become soft.
- Once the gravy thickens a bit, remove it from the flame and garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve with roti, dosa or plain rice.
- Prawns get cooked fast so do not over cook as it would make them rubber-like and hard to bite.
- I like my gravy spicy so be cautious with chilli powder if you do not want it very spicy.