How to make a simple yet tasty bread using pressure cooker and baking powder?
Nevertheless, there still are ways to bake bread in a pressure cooker. You can use baking powder instead of yeast. The main advantage here is you need not wait for hours for the dough to raise. Also its no big deal if you already have baked cakes in pressure cooker. The recipe i’am going to share here is adapted from internet and modified by me. I used both maida and wheat flour. I wouldn’t say i was able to achieve perfection but it was passable.
|Dough before baking|
|Baked bread slices (Kindly excuse the bad slicing)|
|multi grain bread|
- All purpose flour/maida-150 gms
- Whole Wheat flour-100 gms
- Oats-50 gms
- Vegetable Oil-3tsp
- Salt-As required
- Baking powder-1- 1 1/2tsp
- Butter- To grease the pan
- Water-As required
- Sieve all purpose flour/Maida and whole wheat flour
- Powder oats coarsely and add it to the flour and mix well
- Add salt,baking powder, sugar and oil and knead the dough.
- Add water slowly and knead the dough such that its barely sticky. (Add more water if the dough is very dry or add flour if the dough is sticky)
- Grease a bread loaf pan or any rectangular tray with butter and transfer the dough to the pan.
- Preheat the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Fill water in a bowl and place it in the cooker.
- Now keep a plate over the water filled bowl and place the pan/try containing the dough over it.
- Bake the bread on high flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Check in between using a tooth pick and then bake on low flame for the next 15 minutes.
- Once the tooth pick comes out clean your multi grain bread is ready.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then slice.
- I used Quaker multi grain oats. You can use any oats of your choice or add powdered nuts as well.
- The bread didn’t turn brown on the upper side and i feel it can be achieved only with an oven.
- You can use pasta seasoning and bake herbed bread with the same procedure.
- U can use 2 cups of whole wheat and skip maida/all purpose flour for an healthier option.
- You can slice and toast the bread on a tawa and have it with soup.